Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I'm going for my masters in Velociraptorology

As nice as Physics is, it's a tough subject to be passionate about. I wouldn't really say that I am. Some people say you won't really be happy in life unless you do something you truly love, something that really speaks to you (thought: if that's the case, why do so many artists/writers commit suicide?). Unfortunately for me, that's not likely to happen, since the only thing I could find myself getting THAT excited about are velociraptors.

If, in the next 2 years, they were to discover a way to clone dinosaurs a la Jurassic Park (topic for discussion: Crichton or Spielberg? I choose the latter), I would instantly swap to a double-major in animal science and archeology. Don;t even tell me that wouldn't be the coolest thing in the world, raising and studying velociraptors. C'mon.

Even writing, which I consider to be one of my more passionate interests, pales in comparison to the awesome that is the raptor. My second passion is science fiction, and while it obviously ties in with the subject matter, it could still not trump a true blue velociraptor.

But I just admitted that I do have things I am passionate about, and while they don't measure up to velociraptors (nothing, perhaps not even True Love, can do that), they could be better than something like physics. While this is certainly true, and I would love to write science fiction above all else, English classes suck; I'm pretty sure that upwards of 80% of all the material they give you is bullshit. It's kind of like majoring in Art (not art history, just art): if you can do it, you can, and if you can't, you're screwed anyway. You can take classes on how to construct and organize a novel or something, but the majority of what you need kind of has to be there from the start. The moral of this story: no way in hell would I ever major in English, despite what I may have written in the yearbook.

So if anything, I would pull an Asimov: get all the science training (only in physics instead of chemistry), then screw it all and go write scifi instead. I think, subconsciously, that's what I've been planning to for a while. Whether I'll have the balls not to actually embrace the scientific community when the time comes is something else entirely.

In the meantime, I'm just going to hope that they discover how to clone dinosaurs. It'd make everything a whole lot easier.

No comments: