Monday, November 19, 2007

Who run Barter Town?

I think this is a clear sign that I watch/play/read way too much post-apocalyptic stuff.

My current situation:


The reason I'm going all-out right now is something my Chemistry teacher mentioned in a lecture. He seems particularly concerned about the impending gas crisis: not the rise in prices, but the inevitable complete usage of all the world's oil. Apparently according to some study he read, the whole planet will peak around 2030, meaning it's all downhill from there. The responsible thing to think, of course, is that we have to do something about that, and soon. A new source of alternate power, or some short-term solution like more efficient engines that can keep us going until we develop one.

Of course, my first reaction was instead to do a quick calculation and think "okay, I should be about 40. Not too old to survive in the post-apocalyptic wasteland."

I'm not completely deluded. I realize that if we were to pull a Mad Max (Road Warrior: no gas, everything comes crashing down) it would seriously suck. Not to mention the threat of nuclear war: who's to say anyone would survive with all the destructive crap we've got sitting around? Given the unlikelihood of anyone living, my personal chances for survival are minuscule. Take into consideration, then, my odds of living in a Darwinian environment: somehow I don't think I'm well-enough adapted to compete for my right to survive. An obviously it's ridiculous I'm humoring this whole apocalypse idea at all.

Still, think about it. I have no big plans for my future. There's nothing I'm particularly looking forward to. Physics is cool, but I don't like even thinking about getting a job in the field. Is it so hard to imagine that someone in that situation romanticizes something really big coming along (e.g. apocalypse) and forces a purpose on him?

I should, uh, probably fix that. You know your priorities need a little shifting around when you find yourself thinking a little apocalypse along the road of your life would be neat.

But really, read that webcomic I linked to up above. Pretty fan-fucking-tastic.

No comments: