Sunday, September 9, 2007

Give your babies SHOCKOLATE!

I'm the last person (with the possible exception of Alex) from my high school class that you would expect to see participating in college sports. I didn't play any in high school, because a) none of my friends played, and b) I sucked.

Now, first week of class I was approached by one the 3 kids up here that I knew and asked if I wanted to play intramural softball. I thought, "great! Now I'll have people that I know on the team, and get to know others, and I can get some amount of exercise to boot! Sounds like a winner!". Thus, I signed up.

Only this morning, before our first game, did I remember that although problem a) was solved, I still sucked. Well, crap.

I met up with the rest of the guys on the team (all of whom are at least a foot taller than me), and we walked over to the field. All the while, I was remembering traumatic sports-related events from my childhood: striking out in tee-ball, tripping over my feet playing soccer, and, most recently, taking a softball to the eye, just last year (and driving home afterwards, boy was that fun!). I realized the best I had to hope for was looking like a doofus who had no idea what he was doing.

Then we arrived at the field to find that we were 2 minutes late, and we were kicked out of the league. That fixes that!.

Whatever, I'll still go once we rejoin. I can always pray that by being around the rest of the team, osmosis will occur and their water-like talent will diffuse through our respective membranes, balancing out the concentrations (food for thought: does talent move via passive diffusion, or active transport?). If that doesn't happen, I can always burn my roommate alive as an offering to the softball gods.

Oh, aiming for a bleachfilm.com update tonight, assuming Alex ever sends me the damn content. Grr.

So yeah, this geek now plays on a sport team. My horizons! They've been broadened!

No comments: