Monday, September 24, 2007

You know how jellyfish are really flexible, and have no bones?

So I think it's required for every quiet, thoughtful teenager to go through an identity crisis at some point. That's a lie; I have no idea whether that would be true, having never been another person before (not to offend you Hindu's out there. It's just that if I was another person before, and I don't remember it, it doesn;t exactly count). All I know is that I had a minor one today. Yes, that's right, a minor crisis. Why not just say an identity issue, you say, as crisis implies something major? I say to you: shut up.

So I realized at one point today I have trouble being "myself" around people at school. I generally know when I'm being "myself" because I have a tendency to be somewhat witty, and when I hear myself I think "damn, I'm cool." I remember vividly, because it doesn't happen often.

Thing is, it's not just a matter of becoming comfortable. I'm pretty well adjusted, and I've made friends with a few very cool people, yet I still have been unable to make much of a personality come out (I try, believe me. Once you start having to try, though, you might as well give up. I don't think you're supposed to).

However, Jon was accompanying me back up to my dorm when I was coming back this Sunday, and I passed several people from my classes, and there it was: "damn, I'm cool". What can we conclude? It depends on the person I'm with; not just my relationship with them, but on their personality in particular. Either I copy it, or complement it, which would mean I'm really different depending on who I'm near. Dynamic!

(Q: That is by no means the only explanation, nor even the most obvious one. What makes you think this is the case?
A: Shut the hell up.)

So, final thoughts:
1) I'm making a big deal of nothing, because that's what you do in blogs. That's what I do in blogs, anyway. I'm only half-serious here. Maybe four-sevenths-serious.

2) I'm probably perfectly normal, personality-wise, and am only abnormal because I gave this observation this much thought. Irony sucks!

3) What does this mean overall? How will I fix this problem and give myself a more concrete identity? Absolutely nothing! It's worked well enough so far.

4) The spice must flow.

5)When the choice comes down to doing homework and posting meaningless crap on your blog, you know what the right answer is. What the right answer always is.

No comments: