Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Woohoo! Evacuation!

If I was in the fire department at Uconn I would probably kill myself.

Two days ago we had to evacuate our entire resident hall (at midnight) because someone's bagel bites burned and set off the fire alarm. I'd call him a dumbass if it wasn't a friend of mine, two doors down the hall. (I sampled the offending pizza bagels afterward. Slightly crispy, but otherwise delicious.)

Then this morning, in the middle of physics lab, the alarm went off and we were forced to evacuate the entire science complex, into the first downpour we've had all (2 weeks worth of) semester. Tiring eventually (3 minutes later) of standing drenched and unprotected in the rain, our class ditched and went to lunch. Woohoo!

Hence, how I came to my original conclusion. Being a firefighter, or a police officer, on a college campus has to be one of the worst jobs ever because of the sheer stupidity of some of the kids. I was annoyed at having to stand outside for half an hour when I could be sleeping (or playing Fallout); the fire-guys had to get up, get dressed in full battle gear, and get on over to our dorm only to find that the fire threatening the lives of students was actually a puff of smoke from an extra-toasty Bagel Bite.

And the science complex? It was also nothing big (though we never got a definitive answer as to what that nothing big was), yet the entire complex (which has, on an unrelated note, the WORST interior structural design EVER) had to be searched and secured, which would be why our 3-hour lab got canceled.

Not to mention the number of times kids who are either wasted or high do some seriously stupid shit. I would think that people in both departments have thankless jobs, and if I were in their positions, I would lose all faith in humanity (there's still a little left at the moment).

So here's my message to everyone who works on campus as emergency personnel: thanks for not leaving us to die at times when you probably should.

Thought for the day: You know you're a physics major if someone says there are 6 principle forces and the first thing that comes to your mind is "what a douchebag".

EDIT:
WHAT THE HELL?!?!
Mere minutes after I posted this, we had ANOTHER false alarm. While I was EATING. I was forced to leave behind some PERFECTLY FINE cheesecake. Is it me? It's got to be me. Three buildings in 2 days. That's not normal!

No comments: